01952 691131 Welcome To The Mobstead News Website
Serving the Villages of
Moreton, Outwoods & Bromstead
St Mary's Church, Moreton
Moreton is a rural parish and includes the scattered settlements of Moreton, Outwoods, Wilbrighton,
Great Chatwell and Bromstead. It lies within the bounderies of the civil parish of Gnosall from which it is seperated by about three miles. Housing in the parish varies from farmsteads to cottages and more modern housing as well as barn conversions giving a total of around 390 inhabitants. Nowadays there is no shop, public house or school and therefore children are taken by bus to Church Eaton for primary education and secondary aged pupils attend grammer and comprehensive schools in Stafford and Newport. The church suffers from the lack of a direct school connection. Medical care is available in Gnosall and Newport. Many people commute from the villages to work although there are several working farms and other businesses within the area.
St Mary’s Church was completed in 1838, a Neo Norman church with a stunted ‘Italianesque’ tower and a remarkably long chancel. The East window was presented as a gift to the church in 1945 along with a number of other gifts such as the vestry screen and the pulpit. There is a modern electronic organ and a carillon of six bells. There remains one of three original galleries which can be used during special services and on those occasions the church can seat 80 to 90 people. St Mary's stands on a high stump with steep steps and slopes to the road at both entrances and is therefore difficult for disabled access. A handrail was provided in 2004 and a hearing loop is installed within the church. The building is open seven days a week during daylight hours. The church looks impressive from all areas of the village and particularly so when it is floodlit during the Christmas period.
THE LIFE OF THE CHURCH
There are currently 28 people on the Electoral Roll with weekly congregations between 10 and 15 people. The very good community spirit in the villages benefits the church on the special occasions such as Christmas, Easter and Harvest when congregations can rise significantly. Our regular Sunday service is BCP Holy Communion at 9am, but on the third Sunday of each month there is Morning Worship in the Millennium Community Centre at 10am in a less formal setting, giving easier access for the disabled, after which there is an opportunity for social interchange over refreshments.
A Community Worship Service also takes place in the Community Centre twice each month.
The PCC consists of nine very committed people, many of whom in addition to church business carry out essential repairs to the inner fabric of the church, considerably reducing the overall maintenance costs.